Welcome to Week 1 of Pedagome @ DigPINS! This week runs from May 6th-May 10th and will be facilitated by Sundi Richard and Lainie Hoffman.
DigPINS starts with an exploration / reflection on one’s own digital identity. Everyone thinks about this and is in a different place, which is meant to add to the group’s conversation. There is no “right way” that is encouraged. Rather, people share what spaces they occupy online. They discuss what has worked for them, what hasn’t, what fears they may have, and their possible ideal identity; i.e. how they see others and how they think others see them.
Some of the guiding questions include:
- Who are you online?
- What social traces do you leave?
- How would you like to start / continue curating or shaping your digital presence and identity?
Please take a look at this welcome video to get you started. It will help explain the activities and resources below.
- Make sure you’ve joined the DigPINS channels (#20-#24) in the Pedagome Slack space. Here are a few things to start with in Slack:
- If you haven’t already, update your profile with a picture.
- Visit #20-digpins-lobby and say hi! to get the conversation started.
- Since we’re all coming from different places, share a picture in the lobby channel that gives everyone a sense of where you are – think along the lines of a photo from around your campus or a picture out the window of your workspace.
- Also, let us know what days and times (mornings, afternoons, evenings) are best for synchronous sessions. (These won’t be longer than 1 hour and will only happen once a week).
- There are 2 readings for this week posted below.
- As a way to think and talk about your digital identity, make a visitor / resident map of how you engage on the web and post it in #21_digpins-identity channel in Slack. Share it on Twitter with #vandr, if you are comfortable. Here is a video and reading about Visitor / Resident Mapping. Visitor and Resident Typology, Video on VR Mapping
- If don’t already have one, start a Twitter account. Your account can be connected to your name or can be anonymous. If anonymous, please share with the group. If you are new to Twitter you can take a look at this: Maximizing Your Learning on Twitter.
- Check your schedule and get ready to vote on one of two times for a synchronous Meet and Greet session via Zoom. We will be choosing between 5/8 at 10:30am MT, 12:30pm EDT -or- 5/9 at 12pm MT, 2pm EDT. You will get to vote via a form that will be shared on Slack.
- Write a blog post (by the end of the week) with us as your intended audience (although you may have other audiences in mind).
- Include a short introduction to your DigPINS experience – why you’re here, what your goals or hopes for DigPINS are, and anything else you want to share.
- Also include a response to the readings, to the visitor / resident activity, or anything else you find related.
- Blog posts will be made to either your personal blog and aggregated to the DigPINS site or you will be given direct posting access to DigPINS. A form will be available to sign up for your chosen publishing route.
- Take a look at colleague’s posts and comment either directly in their platform or in Slack.
Why Academics Need a Digital Persona – Laura Pasquini
In Praise of Living in Public – Bonnie Stewart